FINNEY’S PROBLEMS of the DAY
Iditarod education portal
1. Three pieces of equipment were in the snow…..a gangline, a sled bag and a harness. They belong to Buddy, Thad and Jerry. Thad does not own the harness or the gangline. Buddy’s equipment goes on the dog. Who owns the gangline?
2. Two Jr. ESSSDR mushers have a total of seventeen necklines. One has five more than the other. How many necklines do they each have?
3. Thad, Gabe and Bruce ran a sprint race with only six dogs each. Thad’s time was faster than Gabe’s time, but Thad did not win. Who won the race? Who came in last?
4. Jerry must be in Jackson with his dogs for the vet check by 9:00 a.m. It takes 1 ½ hours to get to Jackson from his host’s home. What time should Jerry leave his host’s home to arrive in Jackson on time?
5. Choose four names of mushers who are in the ESSSDR. What are the possibilities of the way the race could finish with those four mushers?
6. Four dogs had their own sleds in a sled dog race. The dogs’ names were Bandito, Sweetie Pie, M&M and Paws. Paws finished the race before Sweetie Pie, but behind Bandito. M&M did not win, but she beat Sweetie Pie and Paws. Give the order of their finish.
7. Six mushers met each other at the musher’s banquet. If they each shake hands one time with every other person, how many handshakes will there be?
8. In the morning the temperature was -28 degrees F. By noon it was -50 degrees F., but by 2:00 the temperature was 31 degrees F. How many degrees did the temperature rise during the day? What fact did you not need to know to answer the question?
9. If each team has twelve dogs and there are fifteen teams, how many dogs will leave each stage?
10. Jeff has a team of twelve dogs. Eight of the dogs have blue eyes, two have tan eyes, two have brown eyes and four have mixed blue/brown eyes. Draw a circle graph to show the percentage of eye colors.
11. Today is January 26, 2016.. What was the date three days ago? What will the date be in two days?
12. Alix buys seventeen bags of dog food. She can only fit two bags into each grocery bag. How many grocery bags will she need?
13. Dennis is standing in line to board the plane to Jackson. There are thirty-six people in line in front of him. There are thirty-eight people behind him. What is Dennis’s position in line? How many people are standing in line in all?
14. A jar of Musher’s Secret for the dogs’ feet costs $18.99. Jerry needs 3 jars. How much will he spend?
15. There are six black huskies, four white huskies and two gray huskies on a team. What fraction of the team of huskies is gray?
16. Jill has thirty-two huskies. She buys twelve more from another musher. She gives two dogs to each of her five friends. How many dogs does Jill have now?
17. It is snowing two inches every hour. If it snows for twelve hours, how many inches of snow will be on the ground?
18. Linda leaves Kemmerer staging area at quarter after nine. She reaches the end of the trail in Kemmerer three and one-half hours later. What time did she arrive back in town?
19. Buddy and Gerry have one hundred thirty-six dogs if they combine their dog lots. Buddy has twelve more than Gerry in his lot. How many dogs do they have in their own lots?
20. The race begins at 9:00 a.m. Wyoming Time. What time will it be in Pacific Time, Mountain Time, Central Time and Eastern Time?
21. Each dog eats approximately 8,000 calories a day while racing. How many calories would a team of twelve dogs consume?
22. During January, February and March, Emilie read twenty-nine sled dog books. She read three more in March than February. She read five more in January than in February. She read twelve books in January. How many books did she read each month?
23. If it costs $2.00 for a gallon of gas, and Austin’s truck holds 30 gallons, how much will he pay to fill up his tank? If he gets 10 miles to the gallon, how many miles can he travel before he has to fill up again?
24. This is a dog family. Patty is Inca’s mother. Haley is Patty’s mother. How is Haley related to Inca?
25. JR leaves Driggs at 9:52. It takes him four hours and sixteen minutes to reach the end of that stage. What time is it when he gets there?
26. You have one pair of black long underwear pants and one pair of gray long underwear pants. You have 1 red top, 1 black top and 1 gray top. What are all the possible combinations?
27. A musher must walk/run behind his sled to help his dogs go uphill. If the trail is 62 miles long, and he walks/runs 50% of the time. How many miles is uphill?
28. Your team of dogs loves to eat frozen beef squares as a snack. You stop the team 3 times on the trail one day to snack them. How many total frozen beef squares would you need for a team of 12 dogs if each only gets one?
29. It is 1 am and 30 degrees outside. If the temperature drops 4 degrees every hour, how many degrees would the temperature drop between 1 a.m. and 6 a.m? What is the temperature at 6 am?
30. Because of the rough terrain, you must change your team’s booties every 25 miles. There are 11 dogs in your team. The distance from one checkpoint to the other is 46 miles. How many booties would you need for this part of the trail?